Residential landscapes & travel Photography Workshop
NEXT COURSE: 23 (arrival night), 24, 25, 26 February (Thurs - Sun)
This 3 day (4 night) Landscapes & Travel photography workshop is held on the scenically beautiful Island of Valentia, in County Kerry, Ireland.
It is the perfect course for anyone who has already gained some control over their camera, and is who now interested in expanding their skills in the specialist areas of landscape and travel photography.
Your accommodation is at the Award-Winning and historic Atlantic Villa B&B, former home of the Transatlantic Cablemaster. This beautiful house is right in the heart of Knightstown, Valentia Island, yet secluded within its own private organic gardens. Run by Jackie and Brian Morgan, the house itself is a spacious period residence built in 1873, overlooking the sea. Brian & Jackie have put their hearts into renovating this fabulous house and it shows!!
for more information on Atlantic Villa B&B
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Camera Skills for Landscape & Travel Photography
• Using Aperture Priority (Av) Mode for landscape photography
• Setting the white balance correctly for outdoor photography
• Using ISO setting for best quality
• Use of Depth of Field in Landscape Photography
• Fill Flash techniques (including 2nd Curtain shutter) for travel & still-life images
Photographic Techniques for landscape & Travel images
• Using the Rule of Thirds effectively
• Creating a sense of depth in your landscape compositions
• Adding Leading Lines for impact in your landscape images
• The use of Natural Frames for strong composition
• Exposing for Sunsets
• Long exposure techniques for night sky photography
• Getting the best from bad weather in travel images
• Focusing for extreme depth of field effects
• Taking travel images that will sell via stock image libraries
Participants will need
• **A digital camera capable of setting adjustments. A DSLR is ideal but a good-quality ‘bridge’, or ‘MILC’ camera will be suitable. Please contact the course tutor if you are unsure if your camera is suitable for the course.
• **Spare camera battery and/or battery charger
• **Walking boots/shoes, warm/waterproof clothing
• *Camera Interval timer (intervalometer)
• *Laptop with Adobe Lightroom installed
** Essential items for you to get the best from the course
*These items are useful but not essential for the course
Landscapes & Travel Photography Course Outline
Arrival Evening (Thursday)
Dinner 7.30pm (pre-paid)
Outline of plan for the following 3 days.
Theory Talk: Essential theory for Landscape Photography (Atlantic Villa Library)
Day 1 (Friday)
Breakfast: Atlantic Villa (pre-paid)
Location shoots: Valentia Island Locations (St. Brendan’s Well / O’Shea Pub)
Lunch (packed lunch provided on location)
Valentia Lighthouse Shoot & Theory Talk
Twilight Shoot / Knightstown
Dinner (own expense at location of choice)
Day 2 (Saturday)
Breakfast: Atlantic Villa B&B (prepaid)
“Image Challenge” Theory Talk / free shooting time
Lunch (own expense)
Off-Island Architectural Shoot (Cahersiveen Church / Barracks / Ballycarberry Castle)
Dinner (own expense at agreed location) / informal discussion / image sharing
Day 3 (Sunday)
Early Morning / Sunrise Shoot – Knights Town (weather permitting)
Breakfast: Atlantic Villa B&B
11am – 1pm “Image Challenge” Editing / Preparation (SP Office)
Lunch (packed lunch provided)
Off-Island Location Shoot (Waterville /Ballinskelligs)
Seeking the Sunset Shoot – Valentia Island (Geokaun Mountain / Bray Head)
Slide show of photographs taken by attendees
Please note: The itinerary above may be subject to small changes due to weather conditions or other factors beyond the control of the course leader.
COURSE & ACCOMMODATION FEE
€495.00 per person
Fee includes tuition, Accommodation, breakfast on all mornings, Dinner on two evenings & packed lunch where stated.
2nd person sharing room but not attending course: NO CHARGE for B&B. Packed lunch and dinners if required (where provided for course members) charged at additional cost.
Course will run with minimum of 3 and a maximum of 6 participants. This course is a joint venture between Stephen Power Photography and Atlantic Villa. Accommodation for the course duration cannot be booked at other establishments.
50% booking fee required on booking and final 50% within 1 week of course commencement date. All payments will be refunded if the course is cancelled by the organizers. 50% Deposit non refundable in case of cancellation by participant.